- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 3/4 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 quarts water
- Spaghetti sauce, warmed
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash.
- Place 2 cups mashed potatoes in a large mixing bowl (save any remaining mashed
potatoes for another use). Stir in egg and 1 teaspoon salt. Gradually beat in flour
until blended (dough will be firm and elastic). Turn onto a lightly floured surface;
knead 15 times. Roll into 1/2-in.-wide ropes. Cut ropes into 1-in. pieces. Press
down with a lightly floured fork.
- In a Dutch oven, bring water and remaining salt to a boil. Add gnocchi in small
batches; cook for 8-10 minutes or until gnocchi float to the top and are cooked
through. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Serve immediately with spaghetti sauce.
Yield: 6-8 servings