(Carciofi Ripieni con Prosciutto)
- 4 medium artichokes
- 1 quart water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 pound prosciutto or fully cooked smoked ham, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- Trim stems even with base of artichokes. Cutting straight across, slice 1 inch
off tops; discard tops. Snip off points of remaining leaves with scissors. Rinse
artichokes under cold water. Mix 1 quart water and the lemon juice; submerge artichokes
in mixture to prevent discoloration, then drain.
- Mix prosciutto, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, parsley and pepper. Spread artichoke
leaves open; dig out the fuzzy purple choke of each artichoke with the point of
a knife or a pointed spoon. Discard chokes. Spoon prosciutto mixture into center
of each artichoke. Place artichokes upright in Dutch oven. Pour wine over artichokes;
drizzle with oil. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until bottoms of
artichokes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 1 hour.
- Spoon liquid over each artichoke before serving.
Yield: 4 servings