Rainbow (Neapolitan) Cookies
- 8 ounces almond paste (1 cup plus 2 teaspoons)
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 20 drops red food coloring
- 12 drops green food coloring
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 6 ounces semisweet chips, melted according to package directions
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line three 9 x 13-inch cake pans with wax paper and
spray lightly with Pam, or use one pan and reline each time.
- Mash almond paste; add butter, sugar and egg yolks, beat until fluffy and add
flour; set aside.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form and add to butter mixture. Mix thoroughly
by hand. Divide batter into three parts, approximately 1 1/3 cups each. Add red
to one part, green to the second part and leave third part yellow. Pour each color
into a prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees F. Cool 5 minutes, inverted on rack.
- Remove wax paper and trim edges if necessary. Spread raspberry on green layer,
top with yellow, spread apricot and top with pink layer. Cover with plastic and
set in refrigerator for several hours until set.
- Cut short side 2 inches wide and spread chocolate over top and sides of strips
and let dry. Slice 3/4 inch thick.
These can be frozen.