Sicilian Stuffed Artichokes
- 4 large artichokes, cleaned
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon, cut into thin slices
- Place cleaned artichokes in bowl with lemon halves and water.
- While artichokes are soaking, make stuffing by heating butter and oil in 8-inch skillet. Add minced garlic and sauté got 30 seconds.
- Add bread crumbs and dried Italian seasoning. Stir for 1 minute while bread crumbs brown slightly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the grated cheese.
- Spread the leaves of artichokes open by banging the chokes upside down on work surface and fill each with about 1/2 cup crumb mixture.
- Place each artichoke in a deep pot with water 1/4 way up side of pot. Add 1 teaspoon salt to water and drizzle the 1 tablespoon oil over artichokes and place lemon slices on top. Cover: bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook on low for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from heat and serve at room temperature.
Posted by Chyrel at Recipe Goldmine 8/29/2001 12:59 pm.