A favorite at Italian weddings.
- 3 cups SIFTED all-purpose flour
- 5 medium eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup solid shortening, softened
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 quart oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 1/2 cups honey
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons colored sprinkles
- Place 1 1/2 cups flour in a large mixing bowl. Make a hollow in the center and
pour eggs into it. Add egg yolk yolk, shortening, sugar, salt, and lemon rind. Work
it with a wooden spoon until dough forms (add remaining 1 1/2 cups flour as necessary).
Knead dough on floured surface until smooth and no longer sticky. Cut s mall pieces
of dough and roll into thin ropes. Cut ropes into 1/4-inch pieces. Roll each piece
into a tiny ball.
- Heat oil (at least 2 inches in a deep-fry pan) to about 370 degrees F.
- Fry a handful of strufoli at a time, until golden brown. Remove with a slotted
spoon; drain on paper towel.
- Melt honey over medium heat and stir in orange rind. Add strufoli, stirring them
in very gently with a wooden spoon. Coat them well with the honey, then remove from
pan and "mound" them pyramid-style on a decorative platter. Sprinkle with
colored sprinkles and let them cool.
- Cover with wax paper and store at room temperature. They will stay crisp for