This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- About 1/2 cup raspberry preserves
- Sifted confectioners' sugar
- Beat butter at medium speed of an electric mixer; gradually add 2/3 cup sugar,
beating well. Add egg, lemon rind, and extracts; mix well.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; add to creamed mixture. Divide dough in
half. Roll each portion of dough between 2 sheets of wax paper to a 12-inch square.
- Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Remove one portion of dough from refrigerator; remove top piece of wax paper,
and cut dough into 1 1/2-inch squares. Place 1/4 teaspoon raspberry preserves in
center of half of squares; brush edges of filled squares with water. Place unfilled
squares over filled squares; press edges to seal. Cut an X on top of each. Repeat
with remaining dough and preserves.
- Place cookies on greased cookie sheets, and bake at 350 degrees F for 9 to
11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Remove from oven, and cool on baking sheets 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer cookies
to wire racks and cool completely.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Makes 4 dozen.