- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup plus 1/8 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup espresso
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa
- About 24 ladyfingers
- In a bowl, combine egg yolks, the 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon espresso and the
cognac. Beat the mixture until foamy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the mascarpone cheese and beat for 3 to 5 minutes, or until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg whites and the 1/8 teaspoon sugar.
- Beat until the egg whites are stiff.
- Gently fold the cheese mixture into the whites and set aside.
- Pour the 1 cup espresso into a shallow bowl. Dip both sides of each ladyfinger
quickly in the espresso.
- Arrange a layer of 6 or 7 ladyfingers in the bottom of a serving bowl.
- Spread about 1/3 of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers.
- Continue layering, finishing with a mascarpone layer.
- Sift the cocoa over the top and refrigerate overnight.
Yields 8 servings.