This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
- 2 1/2 cups coffee, sweetened
- 10 tablespoons vanilla-flavored syrup (see note), divided
- 4 egg yolks*
- 3 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese
- 4 packages lady fingers, 1 dozen per package
- 1 tablespoon NESTLES TOLL HOUSE Baking Cocoa
- In a shallow dish mix coffee with 2 tablespoons of the vanilla syrup.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar together until pale. Add mascarpone,
one large spoonful at a time, mixing gently to keep the mixture light and airy.
Add remaining vanilla syrup and mix in gently.
- Dip about half of the ladyfingers into coffee mixture and use to line the bottom
of a 10-inch springform cake pan. Spoon half the mascarpone mixture on top and sprinkle
with half of the cocoa powder. Repeat layers, ending with a sprinkling of cocoa
powder on top.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, release the springform and serve sliced from the metal base.
Vanilla syrup can be bought in most specialty coffee shops and many supermarkets.
(For a more traditional, take on the, substitute dry sherry for the vanilla syrup.)
For salmonella-safe egg yolks or whole eggs
- You will need: a small, heavy saucepan
- A heatproof, 2-cup glass measuring cup
- A large stainless steel mixing bowl
- A wooden or plastic stirring spoon
- A quick-read kitchen thermometer
Perform the following steps and set aside:
1. Place eggs or yolks in saucepan.
Add liquid from recipe (2 tablespoons of liquid per yolk). Stir gently just to combine.
2. Fill measuring cup 2/3 full with boiling-hot water.
3. Prepare the bowl by half-filling it with ice water.
Heat eggs or yolks over very low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture
reaches 160 degrees F. Between each use, rinse off thermometer in the hot water.
When desired temperature is reached, place saucepan in bowl of ice water to stop
heating process. When cool, proceed with recipe. OR, substitute 1/2 cup egg substitute
for the egg yolks.
Serving size: 8