(Venetian Cornmeal Diamonds)
These are crumbly and not too sweet, and perfect after a hearty Italian meal.
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 tablespoon unsalted
- 3/4 cup currants or dark raisins
- 2 large eggs
- Grated zest
of 1 small lemon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Rub in the butter finely, leaving the
mixture cool and powdery.
- Stir in the currants or raisins.
- Or pulse the dry ingredients in the work bowl of a food processor fitted with
the metal blade.
- Add the butter, cut into 8 pieces and pulse again six or eight
times until finely mixed.
- Pour into a bowl and stir in the currants or raisins.
- Beat the eggs with the lemon zest and vanilla extract. Stir into the flour mixture
with a fork.
- Flour the dough lightly and divide it into 4 pieces. Roll them into cylinders
about 1 inch in diameter. Flatten the cylinders slightly and cut them diagonally
at 1 1/2-inch intervals, making diamond shapes.
- Arrange the zaleti on paper-lined cookie sheets and bake at 350 degrees F for
about 15 minutes, until they are light golden in color.
- Cool on racks and dust with
Makes 2 1/2 to 3 dozen.
Source: Great Italian Desserts - Nick Malgieri