Aromatic Japanese Hot Pot Chicken Stew
- 8 cups water
- 8 dried Chinese mushrooms
- 1 (6-inch) piece dried kombu
- 1/2 cup sake
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 whole chicken legs, thighs and drumstick
- separated, skin removed
- Salt to taste on chicken
- 1 small head Napa cabbage, cored, and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 6 scallions
- In a large pot bring water, mushrooms, and kombu to a boil. Remove from
heat and let steep for 35 minutes.
- Add sake, soy sauce and salt.
- Salt the chicken to taste.
- Strain broth, discarding kombu, reserving mushrooms. Return broth to pot.
- Add chicken and two of the
scallions and simmer over low heat, partly covered, for 25 minutes or until
chicken is very tender.
- Trim tough ends off mushrooms and return them to the pot with the chicken.
- Add the cabbage.
- After five minutes, or when the cabbage is just tender, remove chicken
pieces, cabbage, and mushrooms and arrange in separate piles on a heated platter.
- Serve family style. If you wish to finish the meal in the traditional style,
serve each guest a small bowl of hot rice topped with a ladleful of the cooking
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Chicken Council.