(Miso Soup with Bean Curd and Spinach)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 24 well-washed spinach leaves
- 1/2 pound soft, medium or firm bean curd, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 scallions, cut into very fine rings (use both white and green portions)
- 2 1/2 to 4 tablespoons miso
- Pinch of cayenne
- Put the stock into a medium pot and bring to a simmer.
- Add the spinach leaves
and bring to a simmer again. Cook until the leaves wilt, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the bean curd and scallions. Simmer for 30 seconds. Reduce heat to low.
- Put the miso in a small sieve and lower it into the soup (you may have to
move the bean curd pieces aside). Push the miso through with a spoon.
- Turn off the heat, stir once, sprinkle with cayenne and serve.
Makes 2 to 4 servings.
Approximate values per serving: 144 calories, 5 g fat, 0 cholesterol, 20
g protein, 47 g carbohydrates, 10 g fiber, 1,410 mg sodium, 15 percent calories
Posted by Tiffany at Recipe Goldmine 11/30/2001 12:25 pm.
Source: World Vegetarian by Madhur Jaffrey (Clarkson/Potter Publishers)