Chirashizushi (Scattered Sushi) with Walnuts
No need to spend time making sushi the old-fashioned way. Try this, and you'll
be a convert!
- 1 1/4 cups cooked sushi rice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3.5 ounces sushi-grade tuna (cut into 1cm cubes)
- 3.5 ounces sushi-grade salmon (cut into 1cm cubes)
- 6 black olives (crosscut halves)
- 1/2 avocado
- optional lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons whole walnuts
- 1/4 lemon
(slice and then quartered)
- optional chervil (can substitute with fresh parsley)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange walnuts on a cookie sheet in a single layer. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes,
- Roughly chop the toasted walnuts.
- Peel and pit avocado, cut into 1cm cubes and drizzle lemon juice.
- Combine warm rice with vinegar mixture, stir with a rice paddle as you fan
with the other hand to let the extra moisture dry as it cools.
- Assemble the sushi rice on a plate, decorate with tuna, salmon, olives,
avocado, walnuts and lemon and top with chervil.
Nutrition: 481 Calories Fat 20g Saturated Fat 4g Monounsaturated Fat 9g Polyunsaturated
Fat 6g Cholesterol 44mg Sodium 803mg Carbohydrates 49g
Dietary Fiber 5g Protein
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Walnuts.