Baked Matzo-Vegetable Scallop
- 3 matzos
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons chicken or goose schmaltz
- 1/2 cup soup or water (if needed)
- Generously grease a 9-inch square baking dish and cover the bottom with thinly
- Break one matzo into sections and arrange over onions.
- Cover with
slices of tomato, sprinkle with salt, pepper and sugar and top with sections of
the second matzo.
- Cover with the remaining onion slices and top with the third matzo.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Remove cover and if the top layer of matzo is not softened, add 1/2 cup soup
- Continue to bake until lightly browned on top.
- Serve with meat or fish.
Variations: Can be made by adding sliced eggplant, green peppers or shredded
cabbage between layers of matzos.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.