Baked Matzo-Vegetable Scallop
- 3 matzos
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons chicken or goose schmaltz
- 1/2 cup soup or water (if needed)
- Generously grease a 9-inch square baking dish and cover the bottom with thinly
- Break one matzo into sections and arrange over onions.
- Cover with
slices of tomato, sprinkle with salt, pepper and sugar and top with sections of
the second matzo.
- Cover with the remaining onion slices and top with the third matzo.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Remove cover and if the top layer of matzo is not softened, add 1/2 cup soup
- Continue to bake until lightly browned on top.
- Serve with meat or fish.
Variations: Can be made by adding sliced eggplant, green peppers or shredded
cabbage between layers of matzos.