This is a favorite dish among Jews from Turkey.
- 3 pounds cleaned fish (any firm-fleshed fish)
- 1/2 cup oil, butter or vegetable
- Salt, to taste
- 2 large onions
- 4 large tomatoes or 1 cup strained,
- 1 cup boiling water
- Parsley and/or fresh mint
- Lemon wedges
- Prepare fish as for broiling. Rub inside and outside with oil and salt lightly.
- Broil under low heat, turning when inner side is brown, then brown outer side.
the fish in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cover with sliced onions and tomatoes or
the strained canned tomato.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt, and bake 20 minutes at 400
- Add 1 cup boiling water and baste.
- Bake 5 to 10 minutes longer.
- Serve either hot or cold, garnished with parsley and/or fresh mint.
- Serve with
lemon wedges if desired.