This is a favorite dish among Jews from Turkey.
- 3 pounds cleaned fish (any firm-fleshed fish)
- 1/2 cup oil, butter or vegetable shortening
- Salt, to taste
- 2 large onions
- 4 large tomatoes or 1 cup strained, canned tomatoes
- 1 cup boiling water
- Parsley and/or fresh mint
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Prepare fish as for broiling. Rub inside and outside with oil and salt lightly.
- Broil under low heat, turning when inner side is brown, then brown outer side.
- Place the fish in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cover with sliced onions and tomatoes or the strained canned tomato.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt, and bake 20 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Add 1 cup boiling water and baste.
- Bake 5 to 10 minutes longer.
- Serve either hot or cold, garnished with parsley and/or fresh mint.
- Serve with lemon wedges if desired.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.