Beef with Kraut
- 2 to 3 pounds stew beef, flanken or ground meat (made into mini-meat balls)*
- 1 (32 ounce) jar fresh sauerkraut
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce (or an equal quantity of tomato mushroom sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (additional if making meat balls)
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds (optional)
- Lemon juice or sugar (to taste) for adjustment of seasonings
- Combine all ingredients and cook slowly in a covered Dutch oven on top of the
stove or in a 350 degree F oven for 2 to 4 hours (depending on the meat used).
- Adjust to taste by adding a little sugar or lemon juice.
Hint: Make a day ahead so that you can skim the fat.
If using ground meat add a little ketchup, water and seasoning of choice (garlic
and/or onion powder, salt, pepper) to the meat before forming into balls.