Beef with Kraut
- 2 to 3 pounds stew beef, flanken or ground meat (made into mini-meat balls)*
- 1 (32 ounce) jar fresh sauerkraut
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce (or an equal quantity of tomato mushroom sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (additional if making meat balls)
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds (optional)
- Lemon juice or sugar (to taste) for adjustment of seasonings
- Combine all ingredients and cook slowly in a covered Dutch oven on top of the
stove or in a 350 degree F oven for 2 to 4 hours (depending on the meat used).
- Adjust to taste by adding a little sugar or lemon juice.
Hint: Make a day ahead so that you can skim the fat.
If using ground meat add a little ketchup, water and seasoning of choice (garlic
and/or onion powder, salt, pepper) to the meat before forming into balls.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.