Brasadel (Jewish Coffee Cake)
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup walnuts plus additional 1/2 cup
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Cinnamon to taste
- Beat together the shortening, 1 cup sugar and eggs.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Combine the mixtures.
- Add sour cream and vanilla extractand beat together.
- Add 3/4 cup nuts (the original recipe called for raisins).
- Pour 1/2 of the batter into tube pan.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup nuts on top, then add the rest of the batter.
- Mix 3/4 cup sugar and a little cinnamon and sprinkle on cake.
- Bake in 350 degrees F oven for approximately 1 hour.
The family decorates the cake with maraschino cherry halves and walnut