Brasadel (Jewish Coffee Cake)
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup walnuts plus additional 1/2 cup
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Cinnamon to taste
- Beat together the shortening, 1 cup sugar and eggs.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Combine the mixtures.
- Add sour cream and vanilla extractand beat together.
- Add 3/4 cup nuts (the original recipe called for raisins).
- Pour 1/2 of the batter into tube pan.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup nuts on top, then add the rest of the batter.
- Mix 3/4 cup sugar and a little cinnamon and sprinkle on cake.
- Bake in 350 degrees F oven for approximately 1 hour.
The family decorates the cake with maraschino cherry halves and walnut
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.