Burekas (Jewish Sephardic)
Jewish Sephardic BUREKAS is quite similar to the Turkish "burak." Burekas
can be prepared with various types of dough: strudel dough (thin leaves), rising
dough, or with types of prepared dough found in the market. It is widely sold on
Israeli street corners and bakery shops. To be tasty, it must be served hot and
- 1/2 pound margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups self-rising
- Warm water
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1 cup cooked spinach
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 cups sesame seeds
- Dough: Melt the margarine and mix with flour and salt.
- Add warm water until able
to roll dough. Roll it, cut a leaf, and cut circles with a cup or cut into square
and make triangles.
- Stuffing: Mix all the ingredients.
- Put one teaspoon of stuffing on each dough
circle. Fold in half.
- On top, spread yolk and sprinkle sesame seeds.
- Place on a
well-greased cookie tray and bake at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) until golden
(approximately 15 to 20 minutes).
- Serve hot.
Source: Lior's Kitchen Talk