Castilian-Style Passover Potato Casserole
- 6 medium baking potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup plain, low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3/4 cup herbed feta cheese or plain feta cheese
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (10 ounce) package pre-washed spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Peel and quarter potatoes.
- In a large saucepan cook potatoes, covered, in a small amount of boiling water
for 25 minutes or until tender.
- Drain potatoes. Mash drained potatoes with a potato
masher or beat with an electric mixer on low speed.
- Add yogurt, margarine or butter, salt, and red pepper; beat just until combined.
- Add eggs; beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute or until fluffy.
- Fold in 1/2 cup of the feta cheese.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a 12-inch skillet bring the 1/4 cup water to boiling; add spinach to skillet.
- Toss spinach for about 1 minute or until spinach is slightly wilted; drain. Press
out excess liquid. Coarsely chop spinach.
- Spread half of the potato mixture into a light greased 2-quart rectangular baking
- Layer spinach on top; sprinkle with remaining feta cheese.
- Spread remaining potato mixture on top and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
Makes 8 side-dish servings.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.