- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup sifted flour
- 3/4 cup water (or milk and water)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Pinch of salt
Filling for Cheese Blintzes
- 1 pound cottage or cream cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- Dash of salt
- Dash of cinnamon
- Few drops vanilla extract
- Make a thin batter of eggs, flour added alternately with the liquid while beating
with a fork, then working in the melted butter and salt until smooth.
- Heat a heavy
skillet and butter well before pouring in a thin stream of batter, starting at center
and tilting pan to spread the mixture evenly across the bottom. Reduce heat as soon
as you begin pouring on the batter to achieve a well-baked pancake layer for the
first blintz. As soon as the underside is lightly browned, turn out on a double
layer of kitchen towel, browned side up.
- Start the second blintz layer, buttering the pan before pouring batter.
the second and successive blintzes are baking on the skillet, spread the browned
side just turned out with Filling for Cheese Blintzes.
- Filling: Mix with a fork to a spreadable consistency. Spread evenly and roll up each blintz,
tucking in at the ends. Cut in two, and when all are filled and rolled up, and cut,
fry them in butter until nicely browned on both sides.
- Serve with sour cream, stewed berries, cherries, rhubarb, or compote of prunes
and dried apricots.
Yields 12 blintzes if a 10-inch frying pan is used. Serves 4.