Chocolate Almond Passover Cake
- 1 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted, plus additional for garnish*
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- Apple slices
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease bottom of a 10-inch tube pan.
- Place toasted almonds and 1 tablespoon sugar in the bowl of food processor. Process
to a fine grind and set aside.
- Melt the butter, stir in the cocoa and cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl beat the egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar until pale yellow.
- Add cocoa mixture and salt; mix well. Add ground almonds.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, beating the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Add about a quarter of the egg whites to chocolate mixture and stir to blend.
- Gradually fold in remaining egg whites.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 40 to 45 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Unmold and remove bottom. Cool completely.
- When ready to serve, decorate with apple slices and almonds and drizzle with
* To toast nuts, spread on baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees F for 5 to 8
minutes or until brown. Cool completely.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.