Chocolate Almond Passover Cake
- 1 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted, plus additional for garnish*
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- Apple slices
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease bottom of a 10-inch tube pan.
- Place toasted almonds and 1 tablespoon sugar in the bowl of food processor. Process
to a fine grind and set aside.
- Melt the butter, stir in the cocoa and cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl beat the egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar until pale yellow.
- Add cocoa mixture and salt; mix well. Add ground almonds.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, beating the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Add about a quarter of the egg whites to chocolate mixture and stir to blend.
- Gradually fold in remaining egg whites.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 40 to 45 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Unmold and remove bottom. Cool completely.
- When ready to serve, decorate with apple slices and almonds and drizzle with
* To toast nuts, spread on baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees F for 5 to 8
minutes or until brown. Cool completely.