(Tzimmes — Balkan Style)
- 1/2 pound medium prunes
- 1/2 pound dried apricots
- 1/2 pound dried peaches
- 1/2 pound dried pears
- 1/2 pound seeded raisins
- 1 cup long grain white or brown rice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 quart boiling water
- Rinse dried fruits and drain well. Use a colander for best results under running
- Combine with rice and add remaining ingredients in order listed.
- Cook over moderate heat, preferably on an asbestos pad, covered for the first 5 minutes
or until it reaches boiling point.
- Reduce heat to a slow simmer for the next 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender
and the liquid in the pot almost entirely absorbed. Shake the pot occasionally to
prevent sticking, or add a little boiling water if necessary.
- Serve hot or cold.
Turn into a casserole after cooking. Dot with butter and brown
lightly under broiler just before serving. This may also be served cold.
Lightly brown 2 tablespoons flour in 2 tablespoons butter and add after turning
into casserole. This adds a customary tzimmes thickening and many more calories.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.