Golden Apple Honey Cake
Honey cake and apple slices dipped in honey are traditional food for Rosh Hashanah,
the festival of the Jewish New Year celebrated in the fall. This fragrant, moist
cake combines both foods, making it a fitting treat for this holiday.
- Golden Apple and Honey Topping
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup warm coffee
- 2 cups Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Golden Apple and Honey Topping
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, cored and sliced
- 1/3 cup honey
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- In large bowl, beat sugar and shortening until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in honey and lemon zest.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice,
salt, and nutmeg. Add to sugar mixture alternately with coffee, beginning and ending
with dry ingredients.
- Stir in apples and nuts.
- In small skillet, heat honey; add apple. Cook, turning slices occasionally, until
tender and glazed.
- Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or
until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, prepare Golden Apple and Honey Topping.
- Cool cake in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely.
- Arrange apples on top of cake and serve.
Nutrition information per serving: protein: 6 g; fat: 14 g; carbohydrate:
62 g; fiber: 3 g; sodium: 204 mg; cholesterol: 45 mg; calories: 382
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.