This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound American Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Make a mush of the cornmeal by stirring it gradually into rapidly boiling salted
water and stirring constantly until the mush leaves sides of saucepan.
- Pour into a shallow pan. Refrigerate.
- When cold, cut into small squares.
- Melt cheese in top of double boiler.
- Add milk gradually, stirring constantly to blend.
- Arrange layers of mush and cheese mixture
in a buttered baking dish and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until lightly browned on top.