Jewish Oven Braised Brisket
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 pounds beef brisket
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup kosher for Passover red wine (not sweet)
- 8 carrots, cut into large chunks
- 12 potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the oil in a large skillet and sauté the onion over medium heat until golden
- Transfer the onions to the bottom of a large oven roaster with a cover.
- Add the potatoes and carrots to the roaster and place the brisket on top, fat side up.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the brisket.
- Cover and bake for
2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the brisket is very tender.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool 1/2 hour.
- Place the brisket on a cutting board, and slice the meat into thin (1/16") slices.
- Skim the fat from the gravy. If the gravy is not thick enough for your liking,
puree some of the vegetables and add back to the gravy.
- Nestle the meat slices in the gravy, and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Before serving, bring back to a simmer and cook for 1/2 hour.
Shared by Lior in the recipegoldmine.com newsletter 4-29-02.