- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 6 cups water or vegetable juice
- 1 onion or 2 leeks, cut fine
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 small turnip, grated, or 1/2 cup dried or fresh mushrooms
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Sour cream (for thickening and topping)
- Minced parsley
- Cook barley over moderate heat in half of the vegetable juice or stock.
- When tender, add remaining ingredients and remaining liquid.
- Season to taste with salt
and pepper and cook 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- When ready to serve, thicken with sour cream and top with a little sour cream.
- Garnish with minced parsley.