This is the basic recipe.
- 1/2 pound broad noodles
- 2 quarts boiling water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup chopped seedless raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds (optional)
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- Drop noodles in rapidly boiling salted water and cook until tender.
- Drain in
a colander, pouring hot water through to rinse well.
- Beat eggs with sugar, cinnamon
and salt and add the noodles.
- Melt shortening in the baking dish and add to mixture.
- Turn half the mixture into greased baking dish, sprinkle with raisins and nuts,
and add remainder.
- Top with crumbs and bake 45 minutes at 400 degrees F.
Substitute 1 cup thinly sliced tart apples for raisins, or combine
equal amounts of each; use chopped greben (cracklings) and chicken or goose fat
for shortening; substitute 1 cup finely cut dried prunes for other fruit, with or
without nuts. Add lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon grated rind.