- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Grated rind of 1 orange (colored portion only)
- 4 1/2 cups flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 tablespoons apricot jam, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine eggs, 1 cup sugar, oil and vanilla,
orange and lemon extracts on medium speed until well-mixed, about 1 minute.
- Stir in orange rind.
- In another large mixing bowl, combine 4 cups flour and baking powder.
- With the
mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the egg-sugar mixture and mix
until a smooth, thick dough ball forms. Add enough additional flour, if needed,
a 1/4 cup at a time, until dough forms a ball.
- Stir in nuts.
- Remove dough to a generously floured board and divide the dough into three equal
balls. Roll out one ball to form an 8-inch log.
- Slice the log in half (you will
now have two, 8-inch logs). Gently flatten each half with fingers until they are
about 2 inches wide.
- Place 2 tablespoons apricot jam on bottom half of the log and
spread to cover surface.
- Place top over apricot filling and pinch edges to seal in filling.
- Repeat with remaining dough and apricot jam.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle over logs to
cover and place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree F oven until lightly browned, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and increase oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- While still hot, slice logs on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces.
- Return slices
to baking sheets and place back in oven until lightly toasted, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove to racks and cool completely.
- Store in airtight containers.
Makes 30 pieces.