Passover Ginger Candy
Purchase matzo meal (ground matzos) wherever Jewish foods are sold.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup almonds, blanched, peeled,
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar mixed with1 teaspoon ground ginger
- In a deep saucepan, combine the 1 cup sugar and honey; stir over low heat, and
bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from
- Mix almonds, ground ginger and matzo meal with eggs; mix well, using a fork.
Add the mixture to the syrup. Stirring constantly, cook over low heat until it reaches
the soft-crack stage on a candy thermometer.
- Turn the mixture out onto a wet marble
slab or board.
- Dip your hands in ice water; use the palms of your hands to flatten
the mixture to a thickness of 1/2 inch.
- Sprinkle the mixture with the ginger-flavored
sugar and let it cool slightly.
- With a sharp, wet knife, cut the candy into about 25 squares or diamonds.