- 1/2 cup shortening, vegetable oil or butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup matzo cake
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (optional)
- 6 eggs,
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Bring shortening and water to boil in a deep saucepan. Remove from heat and stir
in matzo cake flour and matzo meal, with sugar added if desired. Stir until smooth.
- Beat egg yolks until creamy and stir in matzo mixture until blended.
- Add lemon
- Beat egg white, with salt, until stiff but not dry, and fold into the mixture,
which should now be cool.
- Drop batter from teaspoon or tablespoon about 2 inches
apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes
or until lightly browned and puffed. The puffs should double in diameter and be
hollow like cream puffs but not quite as light.
- Let cool before filling through
a slit in top or side.
- Filling may be preserves, stewed dried fruits or whipped cream to which sugar
has been added to taste.
- Chopped nuts may be added to any of the mentioned fillings
in any quantity.
Yields 24 large or 48 small puffs.
>> Jewish Recipes