Rice and Nut Croquettes
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of cayenne
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons grated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups boiled rice
- 1 cup chopped pecans or other nuts
- Fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Melt butter; blend in flour, salt and cayenne.
- Add milk. Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until mixture is very thick.
- Add onion and mustard; cool.
- Add rice and nuts.
- Add additional salt to taste. Chill.
- Shape into 10 or 12 balls and roll in crumbs.
- Blend egg with water.
- Coat croquettes well with egg-water mixture and dip again into crumbs.
- Fry in deep hot fat (380 degrees F) until brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with tomato sauce.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.