Sabbath Twists (Challah)
- 3 packages active dry yeast
- 1 1/3 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening, softened
- 3 eggs
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- Poppy seed
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add sugar, salt, shortening and eggs, stirring well.
- Gradually add flour.
- Knead on lightly floured board.
- Let rise in greased bowl until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down. Divide dough into 6 equal parts. Roll each part between palms
of hands into a strip which is fatter in center. Braid 3 strips, being sure to press
ends together. Place on buttered baking sheet.
- Let rise until almost doubled in bulk.
- Mix egg yolk with a little water.
- Brush loaves with egg; sprinkle with poppy seed.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 40 minutes.
Makes 2 loaves.