- 1 pound fatty skin and chicken fat (from 3 pound chicken)
- 2 cup onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 potato, chopped and peeled
- Cut fatty skin and yellow pieces of fat into small bits. Place in heavy pot;
cover with cold water. Cook, uncovered, until almost all water has evaporated.
- Lower heat; add onion and potato. It is finished when onions and potato are nice
and brown, and grieben (fat pieces) are crisp.
- Let pot cool, strain into clean jar to separate schmaltz from grieben.
- It may be stored in freezer.
Yields 3 cups.
Nutritional information (estimate, per 1/4 cup): 277 calories, 0.6 gram protein,
5.1 grams carbohydrates, 28.4 grams fat, 92 percent calories from fat, 242 milligrams
cholesterol, 2 milligrams sodium - note that this is an estimate
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.