This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
- 1 pound fatty skin and chicken fat (from 3 pound chicken)
- 2 cup onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 potato, chopped and peeled
- Cut fatty skin and yellow pieces of fat into small bits. Place in heavy pot;
cover with cold water. Cook, uncovered, until almost all water has evaporated.
- Lower heat; add onion and potato. It is finished when onions and potato are nice
and brown, and grieben (fat pieces) are crisp.
- Let pot cool, strain into clean jar to separate schmaltz from grieben.
- It may be stored in freezer.
Yields 3 cups.
Nutritional information (estimate, per 1/4 cup): 277 calories, 0.6 gram protein,
5.1 grams carbohydrates, 28.4 grams fat, 92 percent calories from fat, 242 milligrams
cholesterol, 2 milligrams sodium - note that this is an estimate