This is a Sephardic recipe.
- 1 cup diced green beans
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced eggplant
- 1 cup stewed or 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter or shortening
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 2 cups cooked rice, drained and tightly packed
- Wash and drain diced vegetables. Combine and add tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with salt and stir once or twice.
- Butter baking dish or casserole and turn in vegetable mixture.
- Melt remaining shortening in a saucepan and drizzle over top of vegetables.
- Pour beaten eggs over top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees F or until eggs are set.
- Serve with mounds of cooked rice around or underneath.
Serves 5 or 6.
Variation: Substitute cooked fine noodles or macaroni for rice.