Mediterranean Orange Chicken
Using authentic ingredients such as pine nuts, roasted red peppers and capers, this unique, yet easy-to-prepare, chicken recipe pairs a bold palate of international flavors with simply nutritious 100 percent orange juice. This soon-to-be favorite will help keep your family healthy with key nutrients such as folic acid, potassium and vitamin C!
Prep: 20 min | Cook: 20 min | Yield: 4 servings
- 4 teaspoons pine nuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 pound skinless chicken breast, boned and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, for dusting chicken
- Canola Oil Spray
- 1/4 cup minced shallots, or red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped raisins
- 3/4 cup 100% Florida orange juice*
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Toast pine nuts in a 350 degree F oven for 3 to 4 minutes until golden. Remove, cool and chop.
- With a meat mallet, pound chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thick and season with salt and pepper.
- Dust both sides in flour, and pat so flour stays on.
- Heat sauté pan and coat with canola oil spray. Place chicken in hot sauté pan and spray uncooked side of chicken with canola oil in the pan. Sear chicken for one minute on both sides, and remove from pan.
- In the same sauté pan, add shallots and sauté briefly. Add roasted red peppers, capers, olives and raisins and sauté briefly until shallots are translucent.
- Deglaze pan with orange juice. Add chicken stock and lemon juice and reduce heat slightly when ingredients come to a boil.
- Add chicken back to the pan to cook until completely cooked through, and sauce is slightly thickened.
- Stir in salt, pepper and parsley.
- Top each serving with 1 teaspoon of chopped toasted pine nuts.
* May substitute Florida Orange Juice from Concentrate
Per serving: approximately: 250 calories (40% calories from fat), 29g protein, 21g carbohydrates, 2g fiber, 6g total fat (sat 1g, mono 2.25g, poly 1.87g), 770mg sodium, Vitamin A 2% DV, Vitamin C 60% DV, Calcium 10% DV, Iron 10% DV
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Florida Department of Citrus