Arroz con Coco Frito y Pasas
- Milk from 1 coconut
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup scalded milk
- Grated coconut from 1 coconut
- 2 cups rice
- Coconut Cream
- 1/2 pound raisins
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- Salt, to taste
- Coconut Milk: Pour 1 cup scalded milk over grated coconut and let it stand for
20 minutes. Drain the mixture through a damp cheesecloth, squeezing it to get out
all possible liquid.
- Coconut Cream: Let coconut milk stand for several hours and skim off the cream
as it rises to the surface. The remaining watery milk can be used as coconut milk,
although it is less rich in flavor.
- Arroz: In a skillet heat coconut cream, made from coconut, with brown
sugar over moderate heat until the oil separates from the grainy, golden residue.
Stir the mixture occasionally.
- Put 2 cups rice in a heavy saucepan, add the coconut
mixture, and stir the rice until the grains are well coated with the oil.
- Stir in
1/2 pound raisins, 1 1/2 cups coconut milk, and salt to taste. Bring the mixture
to a boil and cook the rice, covered, over very low heat until it is dry and fluffy.