Brazo de Gitano
("Gypsy's Arm" Rolled Sponge Cake)
This is a classic Spanish chocolate cake-rum roll.
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons sifted confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons rum extract
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar*
* Superfine Sugar: Put desired amount of granulated sugar in a blender and blend
at high speed for about 30 seconds.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar until thick and smooth.
- Stir in flour, cocoa and vanilla extract. Blend well.
- Whip egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Fold into yolk and flour mixture.
- Butter a 15 x 8-inch baking pan. Line with baking parchment
paper or wax paper. Butter well again, and dust lightly with 2 tablespoons of the confectioners sugar.
- Pour batter into the pan and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then turn onto a cloth to cool. After 10 minutes peel
- Combine whipped cream, rum and sugar. Adjust to taste. Spread over cake and roll
cake like a jellyroll, starting with the long edge.
- Sprinkle with remaining confectioners' sugar.
- Serve in slices.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.