Café de Olla Pan Dulce
Coffee is added to this traditional sweet Mexican breakfast bread recipe for a fun twist. The decorative sugar topping makes it as pretty as it is tasty.
Prep: 20 min | Total: 2 hr 5 min | Yield: 12
Cook's Tip: To ensure a warm environment for dough to rise, preheat oven to 200 degrees F, then turn oven off and place dough in the glass bowl inside.
- 2 (7 gram) packets active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (100 to 110 degrees F)
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup NESCAFÉ Café de Olla Instant Coffee Beverage Granules
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Red and yellow food coloring (optional)
- Bread: Stir yeast, warm water and 1 tablespoon sugar in a small glass bowl; allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Beat remaining 1/3 cup sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl. Slowly add in coffee granules, eggs, salt and yeast mixture. Add in flour, 1 cup at a time, until incorporated. Knead dough gently for about 10 minutes with your hands. Dough will be very sticky. Place in greased large glass bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 12 pieces with floured hands and shape each into a ball. Place balls on prepared baking sheet with 1 1/2 inches of space between each dough ball and allow to rise in warm place for about 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare topping.
- Topping: Mix butter, powdered sugar, granulated sugar, flour and vanilla extract in a food processor until smooth.
- Form mixture into 12 balls. If using food coloring, pour 1 drop in a little well in each ball. Knead each piece to mix color in. Form into a disk large enough to cover each piece of prepared dough. Lightly press topping onto dough balls. Use the tip of a sharp knife to cut patterns into the topping, but not into the dough. Some options include: lines across the top, a criss-cross pattern or scalloped shell lines.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until bread and topping is lightly golden.
Nutrition Facts Serving Size: 1/12 of recipe Servings Per Recipe: 12 Calories: 420 Calories from Fat: 110 Total Fat: 12g (18% of DV) Saturated Fat: 7g (33% of DV) Cholesterol: 95mg (32% of DV) Sodium: 220mg (9% of DV) Carbohydrates: 69g (23% of DV) Dietary Fiber: 2g (8% of DV) Sugars: 21g Protein: 9g
Vitamin A: 8% of DV Vitamin C: 0% of DV Calcium: 2% of DV Iron: 20% of DV
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Nestle and meals.com