Caldo de Res
- 5 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 pinches cumin seed
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and diced large
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut large
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 1 celery stalk, cut into small pieces
- 2 ears corn, each cut into 6 pieces
- 1/2 pound cabbage, cut into small wedges
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Trim ribs of excess fat. Blanch them in lightly salted, gently boiling water
for 15 minutes. Drain and put them in a clean stockpot and cover with 2 inches of
water. Simmer and skim carefully for 1 hours.
- Add 2 or 3 cups of water to cover the meat well. Add salt. Put herbs and spices
in a bouquet garni bag and add to stockpot. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours, skimming as
- Strain broth through rinsed cheesecloth in a colander into a clean soup pot.
Remove the bouquet garni bag. Add the meat to the broth. Add potatoes, carrots,
onion and celery to the broth and meat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the corn and then the cabbage. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings.
Photo credit: (c) Can Stock Photo / lunamarina
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.