Dulce de Naranja
This is a traditional Mexican candy with a creamy consistency like fudge.
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- Dash salt
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup chopped black walnuts
- Put 1 cup sugar into a HEAVY skillet and stir slowly with a wooden spoon over
medium heat until the sugar is melted and caramelized to a golden brown color. Add
the water and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the remaining 2
cups sugar, evaporated milk and salt. Place over low heat and stir constantly until
the mixture boils. Cook, stirring frequently, until it reaches the soft ball stage
(236 degrees F on a candy thermometer).
- Remove from heat; cool to lukewarm. Do not
- Add the orange peel and nuts. Beat vigorously until the candy loses its gloss
and will hold its shape when dropped from a spoon.
- Pour into lightly greased (margarine)
8-inch square baking dish. Cool until set.
- Cut into squares before the candy becomes too firm.
Yield: 32 pieces