Empanadas de Fruta
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 20 ounces mixed dried fruit
- 1/2 pound raisins
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup pinon or other nuts
* A 21 ounce can of fruit pie filling can be substituted for the fruit filling.
- Mix flour, salt and sugar; add shortening and mix well. Add beaten egg to water
and then to dry mixture. Dough should be soft but not sticky. Make small balls of
dough. Roll out to 5 inches diameter and 1/8-inch thick.
- Place a heaping teaspoon of filling on half of the rolled out dough turning other
half of dough over and pressing edges together. Pinch edges between thumb and forefinger
giving the dough a half-turn. Fry in deep fat until golden brown. Drain.
- To make fruit filling, add enough water to cover the dried fruit and raisins.
Cook over low heat until tender. Add sugar, spices and nuts. Mix until well blended.
Yield: 8 servings