Empanadas de Dulce
Apricot and Almond Filling
Heat some apricot jam until it melts, then stir
in finely ground blanched almonds. The mixture should be thick enough to holds its
shape. Flavor with almond extract, cinnamon or grated orange rind, adding only a
small amount at a time.
Coconut and Brown Sugar Filling
Mash together flaked coconut with brown sugar.
Moisten with lime juice and a little honey. Flavor to taste with ground ginger.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lard or butter
- 1/4 cup water
- Fillings of applesauce, pineapple, peaches, mincemeat or pumpkin
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Blend in butter to crumbs. Add water and
mix until pastry dough comes to a ball, leaving the side of the bowl. Roll out 1/8
inch thick. Cut 4-inch circles. (A can with both ends removed works well.)
- All fillings should be sweetened and spiced with cinnamon. Place a teaspoon of filling on half
of each round. Moisten edges and fold dough in half over filling. Seal with a work
or fingers at outer edge.
- Bake on cookie sheets for 20 minutes at 375 degrees F
or deep fry in hot vegetable oil.
- Cool on racks or paper.
Yield: 15 to 20 turnovers
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.