This is a great red enchilada sauce that can be frozen for later use.
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 3 quarts water
- 3/4 can tomato juice (tall can)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (if desired)
- 6 cloves garlic
or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 cup El Pato sauce
- 3 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 6 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Heat oil and remove from stock; let cool.
- Add chili powder, then flour. Cook for a few minutes like gravy.
- Add 2 quarts of the water, tomato juice, El Pato sauce and seasonings, adding
cinnamon last. Let boil slowly for a few minutes.
- Remove from stove. Strain to remove lumps. Use the other quart of water to thin
the sauce if needed.