Bunuelos de Higos
- 24 firm ripe figs
- 2 eggs, separated
- 5/8 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pinch salt
- Grated lemon rind
- 4 1/2 ounces flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Oil for frying
- Wash and dry the figs. If they are large, halve or quarter them.
- In a bowl beat the egg yolks with the milk, oil, salt and lemon rind.
- Stir in the flour and sugar and combine well.
- Refrigerate the batter for 2 hours.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold them into the batter.
- Dip the figs into the batter and fry them in deep, hot oil until golden brown.
- Drain briefly on paper or paper towels and sprinkle with sugar.
Apricots, bananas and other fruit can be prepared in the same way.