Flan (Caramel Custard)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Heat 1/2 cup sugar in heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until
melted and golden brown. Divide syrup among four 6-ounce custard cups; rotate cups
to coat bottoms. Allow syrup to harden in cups, about 5 minutes.
- Mix remaining ingredients; pour into custard cups.
- Place cups in 9-inch square
pan on oven rack. Pour very hot water into pan to within 1/2 inch of tops of cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes
out clean, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Immediately remove from water.
- Unmold and serve warm, or refrigerate and unmold
at serving time.
Yields 4 servings.
Spiced Brandy Custard: Stir 2 tablespoons brandy, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
and 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg into eggs.