Fried Custard Squares (Leche Frita)
Start preparation the night before serving or several hours in advance.
- 1 liter (4 cups, 1 3/4 pints) milk
- Peel of 1 lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- Flour for dusting
- 2 beaten eggs
- Oil for frying
- Cinnamon and sugar for
- Powdered sugar
- Optional: strawberry jam
- In saucepan combine milk, lemon peel and cinnamon. bring to boil. Lower heat
and simmer 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In another large, saucepan, beat egg yolk s until lemon colored. Beat in 6 tablespoons
sugar, then cornstarch. Stir in few tablespoons of hot milk, then gradually stir
in the rest. Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, about 4 minutes or until
thickened. Discard lemon peel and cinnamon stick. Pour into a large greased, rectangular
pan and cool. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Cut into small squares. Dust with flour and dip into beaten egg.
- Heat oil and fry until brown on all sides. Drain.
- Dust with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar. If you wish, serve with strawberry