Fried Custard Squares (Leche Frita)
Start preparation the night before serving or several hours in advance.
- 1 liter (4 cups, 1 3/4 pints) milk
- Peel of 1 lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- Flour for dusting
- 2 beaten eggs
- Oil for frying
- Cinnamon and sugar for dusting
- Powdered sugar
- Optional: strawberry jam
- In saucepan combine milk, lemon peel and cinnamon. bring to boil. Lower heat
and simmer 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In another large, saucepan, beat egg yolk s until lemon colored. Beat in 6 tablespoons
sugar, then cornstarch. Stir in few tablespoons of hot milk, then gradually stir
in the rest. Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, about 4 minutes or until
thickened. Discard lemon peel and cinnamon stick. Pour into a large greased, rectangular
pan and cool. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Cut into small squares. Dust with flour and dip into beaten egg.
- Heat oil and fry until brown on all sides. Drain.
- Dust with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar. If you wish, serve with strawberry
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.