Green Beans and Chayote Chilate
This traditional recipe from Oaxaca will brighten your day. Using canola oil
makes it heart-smart, too.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil 15 mL
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 dry guajillo chile, deveined, seeded, soaked in hot water
- 3 dry chipotle chile, deveined, seeded and soaked in hot water
- 8 tomatoes or tomatillos, cored and diced
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock 500 mL
- 3 cups green beans, sliced into short lengths 750 mL
- 2 cups peeled and diced chayotes or potatoes 500 mL
- 1 sprig epazote or oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt 10 mL
- 8 corn tortillas
- In medium skillet, heat canola oil and sauté onion and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chopped chiles and tomatoes to onion and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add stock, green beans, chayotes, epazote and salt. Cook until beans and chayotes
are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with corn tortillas.
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 224 Total Fat 5 g Saturated Fat
0 g Cholesterol 0 mg Carbohydrates 40 g Fiber 6 g Sugars 7 g Protein 5 g Sodium
1133 mg Potassium 300 mg
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.