Mexican Beef Sopes
You can use leftover roast beef for this recipe. Crowning the delicious sope
is a flavorful topping.
- 12 ounces pre-cooked shredded beef
- 2 cups masa harina
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling dough
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 cup refried black beans
- Crumbled Cotija cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- In a large bowl, combine masa harina, flour, baking power and 1/2
teaspoon salt. Slowly add water until a soft dough is formed. Transfer dough
to floured surface; knead by hand for 5 minutes until dough is smooth. Cover
in plastic and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4 inch thick. Using cookie
or biscuit cutter, cut into 2-1/4 inch circles. Re-roll remaining dough, as
needed, to get 24 circles.
- Heat 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat until hot; add oil. Fry
sopes about 5 minutes or until golden brown and edges are crispy; turning
once. Transfer sopes to paper towel-lined plate. Season with salt and
pepper, as desired.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, combine beef, lime juice, orange juice,
cumin, chile power, coriander, garlic powder and remaining 1/4 teaspoon
salt. Heat over medium heat until hot, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in tomatoes and jalapeño peppers. Keep warm.
- Top each sope with beans then beef mixture. Garnish with cheese and
cilantro, as desired.
Yield: 12 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 207 Calories; 13.8 g Total Fat; 2.4 g
Saturated Fat; 6.7 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 3.4 g Monounsaturated Fat; 0 g Trans
Fat; 23 mg Cholesterol; 479 mg Sodium; 177 mg Potassium; 12 g Total
carbohydrate; 10 g Protein; 1.6 mg Iron; 3 mg Niacin; 0.3 mg Vitamin B6; 28.7 mg
Choline; 0.6 mcg Vitamin B12; 1.9 mg Zinc; 11.2 mcg Selenium; 1.6 g Fiber
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Texas Beef Team
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Mexican Recipes