Mexican Orange Fudge
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup liquid non-dairy
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel, fresh or
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Caramelize 1 cup of the sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Do not
stir, but watch closely and tilt pan so that sugar melts evenly and does not scorch.
- Slowly and carefully pour the boiling water into the caramelized sugar, and stir
to mix. Add the remaining sugar, creamer and salt. Cook over medium heat, and stir
until all ingredients are mixed and mixture comes to a boil. Without stirring, cook
until mixture reaches 238 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm (pan bottom is barely warm to the touch).
- Beat until candy loses its gloss and holds its shape. Fold in grated orange peel
- Spread in a buttered 8-inch square dish, and cut into squares.
Makes about 4 dozen pieces.