- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon salsa
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green or red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped
- 1/2 to 1 fresh jalapeno, minced
- 12 to 16 tostada chips, broken
cup grated Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced cilantro (optional)
- Beat eggs lightly with water and salsa. Set aside.
- In a cast iron skillet warm bacon drippings over medium heat.
- Add bell pepper,
onion and jalapeno, sautéing them until limp. Pour in eggs and stir them up from
the bottom of the skillet as they cook. About a minute before the eggs are done,
add the chips, stirring them in well.
- Remove the eggs from the heat, and stir in
the cheese, reserving a little to scatter over the top.
- Sprinkle the cilantro over
the eggs, if you like.
- Serve the migas immediately with warm flour tortillas and
more salsa or picante sauce.
Migas may also be cooked by scrambling eggs, then warming the eggs and chips
in warm ranchero sauce.