- 1 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes, unpeeled
- 1/2 medium onion, chunked
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 to 3 fresh jalapenos or canned chipotles in adobo sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Pinch of sugar (optional)
- Place tomatoes on a broiler pan covered with foil for easy cleaning. Broil tomatoes
for 15 to 18 minutes, turning occasionally, until the tomatoes are soft and the
skins split and turn dark in spots.
- Cool the tomatoes briefly.
- In a blender, puree the tomatoes and their skins and cores with the remaining
- Serve the salsa warm or refrigerate for later use.
For a chunkier salsa, leave one tomato unbroiled, chop it, and stir it and the
onion, chopped rather than chunked, at the end.